Saturday, January 24, 2015

2015 And The Promises It Holds

It's almost the end of January, and I haven't done much really other than work. I'm not saying working isn't important, because it puts food on the table and, of course, it can be argued that work gives me the wherewithal to feed the soul, to be happy, if you may. Just that I want to do more in my pursuit of happiness. And this year, this 2015, I promise to be more proactive in pursuing it. Go! Go! Go!

I want to do more arts and crafts, sewing, and DIYs. I have a ton of projects, and I want to finish least one a week. I've already started refurbishing bags again, and I finished two last week. Not bad at all. Slowly but surely. I want to try my hand at dyeing and recoloring bags as well, and Sharkteeth wants a new quilt. Sana.

Another thing that I want, that I've been trying (emphasis on trying) to do for years now, is living light. I want to lessen my frivolous expenses and be in a better financial state. Some of you know that I have a bit(?) of hoarding and impulse-buying tendencies. It's something that I've come to terms with and accepted, but I don't equate my acceptance with justification or a license to continue wanton spending, neither would I contradict it with single-minded thriftiness or extreme frugality. Faced with a potential purchase, I now ask myself the following questions:
1. Do you already have one (or two, three) at home?
If the answer is yes, stop, just stop. Do you want to be THAT relative whom nobody wants to visit because of all your clutter?!
2. If you tire of it, would you be able to sell it?
If the answer is no, put it down. Ang dami mo nang kalat sa bahay.
3. Does it fit you now, not tomorrow, not next month, not after you shed those pounds, now?
If the answer is no, put it back on the hanger and return. Exercise and diet, then let's talk again when you lose weight.
4. Do you have a particular person in mind if you're planning to give it as a gift?
If the answer is no, then don't get it. Buy a gift shortly before sending it.
Of all these challenge questions, it's the fourth that I am having trouble with because I don't like scrambling for a gift. But for the sake of my goals, I will at least try. Try.

Still on the topic of light living, I will be more active again in Ebay, selling stuff. I'll be shooting two birds with one stone: I can clear my inventory and earn at the same time. Cha-ching! Cha-ching! Cha-ching!

I also want to apply light living on relationships. The end of 2014 brought me so much stress, Facebook being one of the sources. There were so much petty, and otherwise, high school intrigues (I know, right?! ) and cliquish behavior that went on and on and on, and I'm assuming, still going on, that I just up and left our FB reunion groups and chats and unfriended tons of high school classmates. I don't have anything against those classmates I removed, but as THE Tina Tagle said, "I just don’t see any point why you’re in my list and we don’t talk. I feel like I’m being stalked." It's one of the best things I've ever done so far this 2015 in service of my pursuit of happiness. I felt so relieved after. Parang pigsa na natanggal yung "mata" -- sorry for the kadiri analogy, but that's the closest I can come up with. Can you just feel the sense of relief?

To 2015 and its promises!  Cheers!


11 comments :

  1. Those are smart questions to ask oneself when faced with a potential purchase, huh! Pinaka like ko yung no. 3. And about your plan to do more arts and crafts, sewing and DIYs, uy aabangan ko yan. Pls, pls. document everything here on your blog (only when you're willing and has the time, no pressure). I need inspiration! Para sipagin din ako, andami ko rin gusto gawin. Haha. I say yes to having a better financial state and light living this year! :)

    P.S. Nakita ko sa IG (Explore part) si @sherylburwell and saw your comments in some of her posts, I followed her also. Natuwa kasi ako andami nya posts about gardening, gusto ko rin mag-gardening. So far, leeks pa lang ang meron ako. Sabi ko nga sayo, I need inspiration. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naku, berdeng-berde ang thumb ni Sheryl. Did you see her tomatoes? I'm so inggit. Kasi deadz na ang aking basil...
    I will, pero most kasi ng crafting ko ngayon ay more on refurbishing bags and shoes, and it's not as exciting or pretty as making new stuff. But I will. Target ko is masimulan na yung quilt sa first week ng March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read your post, I felt like I was reading my own mind. APIR!
    1. I aim to do more DIY stuff this year since I had just started to learn sewing. I'm excited about that! I also plan to refurbish more furniture.What happened to the chopping board project? Gusto ko nun! I'm your customer!
    2. Less spending (although God knows how many times I've said that in the past year but I just couldn't resist the pull of new and shiny things)
    3. Baliktad tayo - I am back in FB! Although I had to for work. I do know what you mean by "spring-cleaning" your contacts. I started again from zero and intend to keep it at a very low number, following only a few (haha!). I've started following home and DIY pages instead.

    @edelweiza: Nice to see you here too, sis :) magpalago tayo ng garden natin!

    Cheers to us in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Furniture?! Count me in. Gusto ko sanang i-reupholster ang sofa bed namin. I have already planned how I'm going to do it in my head. Time na lang ang kulang. Let's volt in! hehehe, baka di mo gets ang reference sa Voltes 5. Inabutan mo pa ba yun?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2015 is really going to be good! Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheng! Sana nga.
    But apparently, it's not a good year, not even month, for some SAF men. Di pa rin ako over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how you feel. Still, what better way to continue with life than to be positive about things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:49 AM

    Hi Ma'am. I heard you're selling Cath Kidston items, may I have the link to your ebay store? :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please send me your email address, and I'll reply there. thepseudoshrink at gmail dot com

      Delete
  9. Anonymous2:46 PM

    your post resonates....in FB or other social network sites, you can make friends or create enemies...it became a platform for others to show off with their posts that they are still on the 'proving stage' or reflect their financial, academic, career or even spiritual arrogance......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of spiritual arrogance, I really get riled up with passive-aggressive posts that sugar-coat anger with "God bless", when in reality, what they really mean is the opposite.
      Much as I love freedom of expression like life itself and respect differing opinions, some people seem to think that just because it's their wall, they can be callous and rude. #UnfriendNaYan

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you, good or bad. And remember, if you can dish it, you better be able to take it!