Thursday, January 22, 2009

Stop And Smell The Flowers

I woke up early this morning and watered the plants. I rarely get to do this because I usually wake up around 6-6:30 a.m., and the house is already chaotic by then. Well, this time, I got to savor the early morning quiet and visit the flowers. In my childhood, I used to plant and grow all sorts of things---mushrooms, roses, dahlias, sunflowers, alembong (literally, flirt), peanuts, corn---and it has been rewarding to see them sprouting their first leaves or opening their buds. When we were living in the city, I didn't have a garden, and even when we moved to our own home, I seemed to have forgotten how wonderful it is to have flowers around. When I became better able in managing my time (see, I have a bit of concept of time after all), I started planting again, hence the numerous mums and daisies we bought in Baguio.

I debated whether I'd cut this rose or let it be, but it's nice seeing fresh flowers inside the house, so I cut it. It's not as fabulous as those sold in florist shops, but it has its own charm---very fragrant and has a very long stem; well, considering that it's a home-grown rose, 2.5 ft of stem is long enough. Lovely day.

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous6:24 AM

    ganda! is it actually possible to grow roses here in manila? i tried bringing sunflowers here (favorite ko kasi) from baguio, but it didn't work. or wala lang talaga akong green thumb? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:17 PM

    Haha, merolants, kaso medyo nahihirapan ako magpalaki sa kanila, I admit, I need a green thumb for growing plants. I remember in college, luya lang, hindi ko mapabuhay!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, good or bad. And remember, if you can dish it, you better be able to take it!