Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Musings

Remember the raffle I had last during my blog's 10th anniversary? May nakalimutan akong kwento. Well, when I queued to pay for the coloring book and the red bowls for the raffle, I was next to a little old lady. Then I saw her paying for chipped cups with broken handles. The store sells their damaged cups and ceramics by weight, and that's where she got them. It saddened me, because there I was, poised to pay for some cute bowls that weren't even particularly expensive, and here's someone buying damaged cups because she [possibly] can't afford to buy good ones. I felt sad and uncomfortable. I wanted to buy the lady some nice ones or give her some of my Cath Kidstons, but she had this unmistakable look of pride, and I would hate if she feels insulted by my offer.

Which brings me to my next point. I don't know if I'm ungrateful, but I really cringe when I see people using the hashtag #blessed, or gasp(!!!), #beyondblessed in the most inane pictures. As some of you know, I have an IG shop, and I always see these women posting pictures of their most recent teacup acquisition captioned with "Truly, madly, deeply in love with you. #Grateful #Thankful #Blessed #Beyondblessed". Matanong ko lang, are there metrics for blessedness? Some sort of a Likert scale, perhaps? Like if it's a rare teacup in mint condition, #beyondblessed, but if it has a scratch, #blessed lang? Although possibly ako lang talaga ang may problema...that I am not grateful enough. After all, little things that we take for granted might be valuable treasures to others.


On a serious note, and I think I'm not being OA about this, I am very thankful for the relative success of my Instagram store. I started it out without any clear or specific item in mind -- I just posted things that I myself would buy. I thought about selling antique teacups and saucers, but I didn't have a supplier. Luckily, my annual supply of Cath Kidston mugs came a bit early last year, and through another stroke of luck, I was able to find an inventory of Butler Mrs. Winterbottom's cottage-style ceramics. And those two brands became my bestsellers. I was able to find my own niche in the overwhelmingly huge world of online selling. And like the proverbial cherry on top, I got some new friends along the way. There's this lady, who I'm quite sure is as lovely as her words, from Cebu who places orders almost every month, and it's such a joy to transact with her -- always polite and pleasant. As they say it nowadays, nakaka-good vibes. Meron pa rin naman na baliw-baliwan customers, pero I don't wanna dwell on them na, and besides, the good customers outnumber the bad. I'm not exactly getting rich with this IG gig, but I love shopping, whether for myself or for others, and I'm happy to have some sort of platform where I can buy and share my finds and earn a bit extra as well.

12 comments :

  1. http://elitedaily.com/women/hashtag-blessed-ego-instagram/1111568/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you! Same sentiments here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parang may nabasa akong blogger dati... a little the same story. In the grocery's cashier, this blogger was behind a man about to pay his groceries via credit card. Problem is, the credit card terminal malfunctioned. So you can imagine the line and waiting time. The blogger offered to pay for the man's grocery in cash para lang umurong na yung line. Na-insult si Kuya kay blogger.

    A few years ago, sa Rice in a Box. Eh food cart lang un. There was this mother-son tandem asking for a senior citizen discount and official receipt... the handwritten one ha. There was only one lady manning the food cart. Imagine, "ate" has to cook, pack the meals tapos prepare invoice pa. Then here comes the request for discount. I wanted to offer payment. Pero naisip ko din, baka maka-offend ako. A group of "happy and gay" yuppies came in and hindi ko kinaya... they offered to pay for the bill of the mother-son... of course the mother-son felt insulted. Ayoko na ng stress, I told the "ate" sa rice in a box... balikan ko na lang order ko. Can't stand the succeeding scene. Ramdam ko, may magsasagutan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My reaction to the #blessed on IG differs with people. Pag tingin ko sincere naman sya, kasi ganun talaga yung pagkakakilala ko sa kanya, okay lang, sharing good vibes, ganun. Pag parang nagba-brag lang, yung tipong alam kong may ganung ugali talaga sya, doon ako medyo nagki-cringe. Even I use the hashtag on occasions. Pero tingin ko sincere naman ako madalas, hahaha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natumbok mo!
      Meron lang talagang ramdam mo pag humblebrag ang pakay.

      Delete
  5. I like that term - humblebrag. Yung pasimpleng post kunwari thankful lang, tapos may #blessed - pero alam mong nagmamayabang dahil kilala mo kung anong klaseng tao yun! Sandali mag deep breathing muna ako.

    I'm happy to know the shop is taking off. Gusto ko rin may sideline pero wala akong time na magisip ng kung ano ang ibebenta. Nga pala, may utang ka pa sa akin na flour jar ha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nakuuuu...heto nga, kakakabalik-balik pa lang ng purchaser from China and walang Cath Kidston, walang Mrs Winterbottom, walang cute stuff...wala lahat. Nganga ang business ni TPS. Sana magkaroon sa September. Update naman kita for sure!

      Delete
  6. Thankfully may article na pala about this overused hashtag, napansin ko yung mga kilala kong gumagamit nito sa FB have stopped using it already hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Napansin ko nga rin na si [beep], who usually used hashtags like #beyondblessed, ay nag-tone down na.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you, good or bad. And remember, if you can dish it, you better be able to take it!