Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Semi-Looper Moth


I saw this tiny (<1 in.) moth "lounging" on our kitchen wall and was instantly fascinated, yes, fascinated. Just look at the perfect symmetry of the wings and its triangles! I thought of posting a "what is" entry but decided to Google ("moth with triangle on the wings") instead, and I got this from OzAnimals:

Semi-looper moth (Trigonodes hyppasia): This Semi-looper moth has buff brown forewings, with two dark brown triangles on each forewing. The hindwings are plain light brown. At rest the moth holds its wings in a triangular shape. Caterpillars are green above and dark underneath.

Well, apparently, from Oz, it reached our shores. Quite a long trip, I must say, especially for such a tiny creature.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, good or bad. And remember, if you can dish it, you better be able to take it!