Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween 2008

Sharkteeth Fairy
Halloween, or at least the Western version, crept through Philippine culture slowly, but steadily---I think it started in Ayala Alabang or some other posh Southern Manila village. Well, before all these candies, and costumes, and more candies my throat is already begging for mercy, there was pangangaluwa, which I believe is a purely Catholic practice, as it was based on the belief that souls in Purgatory also need material comfort aside from the spiritual one. And so the nangangaluwas, who sing songs begging for prayers and alms, word has it, steal chickens, piglets, or whatever animal they fancy from an, I'm assuming, unwilling home. I even heard of a group stacking up firewood against the door of a home when the owner didn't give them any, well, "treats." So there, trick or treat Pinoy style circa 1950s or 1960s, maybe even earlier---I really couldn't be bothered to fact check tonight...lots of homes to visit!
TPS and SharkteethBy the way, the Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse? Me! I was sorely tempted to knock on each of our neighbor's door and say, "See you same time next year!"

No comments :

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, good or bad. And remember, if you can dish it, you better be able to take it!